Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's Not the Holidays Without Some Home Alone Shenanigans

Sometimes when you work at a movie theater you gain some fun stories to share. This one happened this weekend. Generally, when a 'lost' child is found I am called to help them out. I like to think it's because I am just so friendly and sweet looking I wouldn't scare the kid. Most likely it's the fact that everyone knows I am crazy about kids and they think I'll find the most joy in finding the lost mommy or daddy. Well this particular story goes a little something like this... I was called by an usher to the lobby and was then introduced to sweet, adorable, Ella. She was lost. So began our quest to find her family.

Upon talking to Ella this is what I discovered:
- Her movie was already over. There went my theory of her mom being in the concession stand was wrong. So was my theory that she went to use the restroom and just couldn't find the right theater again.
- So we waited a minute or two in the lobby. Yep, no mommy emerged from the bathroom.
- The last time she saw her family, she was just wheeling around on her shoes, you better believe she was one of those cool kids with heelys, and when she looked up her family was gone. Pretty much the saddest thing I had heard all week.
- She knew her mother's cell phone number. Thank goodness because at this point I had come to the conclusion that whether it was on purpose or an accident this girl's family had definitely left her at the theater.

So I called the cell phone, no answer. Called again, no answer but left a message. Waited another couple minutes and called one more time and thankfully Ella's mom answered! The conversation went a little something like this...

Mom: Hello
Me: Hi, is this Darcy?
Mom: Yes, it is.
Me: Hi, my name is Stacey and I work at the movie theater and I have your daughter Ella here with me.
Mom: Oh my goodness, honey we don't have Ella, she is at the theater (obviously talking to dad haha) Is she okay, gosh are we just terrible people?
Me: She is good. And it happens I know this isn't the first time a family has left someone haha.
Mom: Okay well we were driving home so we will turn around right now and we should be back in like 5-10 minutes.
Me: Sounds good. We will be in the lobby waiting for you.

So as Ella and I waited. She chose to sit in box office with the crew. I got her some paper, pens and markers and she drew a cute little picture while she waited. Her mom came to the rescue shortly thereafter and Ella made it safely home this time. All I have to say is if nobody ever claimed her I definitely would have considered adoption, she was that precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment